Monday, August 13, 2012

Best Topeka Grocery Deal August 8-14, 2012


The best grocery deal I discovered this week was at Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee has canned vegetables on sale for 39 cents a can.  How good a deal is this?

Hy-Vee Deal of the Week
One thing I teach in my couponing classes is the value of keeping a "price list" of at least the 100 most common items your family purchases. Keep your grocery receipts for a couple of months and start analying what products you purchase most often. Then build a price list of those 100 items comparing prices between stores. Always paying the least amount for your most common grocery purchases will save you significantly more money over time than clipping coupons.

A page from my price book

I keep a spreadsheet of the prices of the major items I buy for my family. I compare the prices between Wal-Mart, Dillon's and HyVee. I have found that no one store is the cheapest in town but rather all three stores have at least some items that are cheaper than the other two.  By keeping a comparison chart of the three major stores, I can use it when I shop other stores. Is Dollar Tree or Apple Market selling something cheaper than the other stores? I just look up the price on my list.  It is impossible without a price sheet to remember every price on every product, especially if they are only a few cents apart.

I was able to refer to my price book and see store brand green beans normally cost about 69 cents at HyVee and Dillons and 68 cents at WalMart.  Green beans for 39 cents a can is 29 cents less per can than the cheapest price in town so I bought 24 cans.  24 cans of green beans will last me several months since my husband hates green beans.  I'm not even sure how well he will sleep at night knowing they are in the house. I "saved" $6.96 by buying the beans on sale and stockpiling them for future use. It appeared all the HyVee brand canned vegetables were on sale so you could mix and match the canned green beans, corn, peas, etc.

HyVee also has butter on sale this week for $1.49.  Store brand butter at WalMart is around $2.68.  If you use butter, buying HyVee's sale butter will save you about $1.18 a package which is a significant savings.  There was a sign stating there was a limit of 2 but it did not indicate if this was per customer or per transaction.  I did not see anything in the ad stating a limit.

If you are interested in taking a couponing/money saving class please feel free to contact me at ksfarmgirl@live.com.  Classes cost just $15.00 a person (five people or less) or $10 a person for classes of 6 or more. A one-on-one session is $30. Each class runs about 90 minutes and is full of tons of money-saving advice which will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment